Goal of Position
In the office-bearers of the church we see the love of Christ for his people. As the Lord of the church he appoints leaders and by his Spirit equips them so that believers may grow in faith, develop disciplined
Christian living, serve others in selfless love and share with all the good news of salvation. He taught us the spirit of true leadership when he said, “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave ‐ just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:26‐28).
Deacons are chosen to give leadership to diaconal ministry. In this ministry, deacons empower members of their own congregation and partner with neighboring churches, Christian services, and local social agencies. Diaconal Ministry, to touch people’s lives as Christ’s hands and feet, focuses mainly on the following areas:
Acts 6:3 - Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. (ESV)
1 Tim 3:8-12 - Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued,[a] not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. 9 They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. 11 Their wives likewise[b] must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well.
Out of these verses we see the following list:
- Servant. ( 1 Tim 3:8)
- Good Repute. (Acts 6:3)
- Full Of The Spirit. (Acts 6:3)
- Full Of Wisdom. (Acts 6:3)
- Dignified. (1 Tim 3:8)
- Not Double Tongued. (1 Tim 3:8)
- Not Addicted (Indulging) In Much Wine. (1 Tim 3:8)
- Not Greedy For Dishonest Gain. (1 Tim 3:8)
- Keep Hold Of The Mysteries (Deep Truth) Of The Faith With A Clear Conscience. (1 Tim 3:9)
- Be Tested First And Blameless. (1 Tim 3:9)
- Wife Who Is Living A Godly Life. (1 Tim 3:11)
- Husbands Of One Wife. (1 Tim 3:12)
- Must Manage His Children And His Household Well. (1 Tim 3:12)
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A DEACON?
DEACON STAFF REQUIREMENTS
*Must Complete To Become A Foursquare Deacon